FOUR FEATHERS PRESS ONLINE EDITION: PIE SIGHS Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the words pie and/or sigh, totaling up to 150 lines in length, in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PST on March 15th. No PDF's please. Color artwork is also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Pie Sighs will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, March 16th between 3 and 5 pm PDT.

Saturday, March 16, 2024

CLS Sandoval

I Made You Something Special [Again]


I wove cotton around until the loom turned into a rainbow

The clouds only opened to place a waterfall in the sky

I’m hiding just beyond the steel post so I don’t get caught

Perhaps fluency in Pig Latin would increase my cover

 

So there were planes, trains, and automobiles

And she only wanted to walk the circumference of the earth

The [dis]fluencies embedded in the translation of my whisper

Is all you have to rely on

 

You always remind me that I already know how you feel

Of course I do

And of course you know I cannot take a joke

If you’ll come jump rope, I promise I’ll smile just for you

 

You played our song on instruments which remain [un]invented

I spent all night attempting to construct choreography to match your music

And you keep reminding me to take joys in the simple things

I only wanted to make you happy; you say I already do

 

I wore myself out trying to keep up with you

And you only wanted me to sit still

Never have I been truly loved

Excuse me for taking so long to adjust

 

Instead of knitting you another scarf that you won’t ever need

Or writing round myself in circles

I’ll have to do my best to just breathe and accept your love

I love you, too




My Illusion


I watched her push herself, over achieving all the while,

Observed the world:  her audience in admiration.

Her hair grew long and she painted her nails,

She wore a suit, cleaned and pressed, as she won her titles.

 

It was in one of these suits that she met him, her love,

He appeared perfection, the answer to her prayers.

Dashing, talented, fun, with fulfilling words to spare,

He called, they spoke, and he claimed he loved her.

 

She was elated, but he was miles and miles away,

With love only for him, she made her plans.

One day, he stopped calling, and she restrained herself,

She thought she had everything she wanted, needed.

 

The world agreed that she was admirable, strong,

Twice raped, innumerably betrayed and neglected.

She showed no sign of the weakness that she hated herself for,

Just the gashes, fresh and deep, self-imposed for tears.

 

When she boarded that bus, with hope anew…he called,

She knew that he loved her, wanted her, and needed her.

He was even on time to pick her up, and then showed her off,

She let him undress her that first night, knowing it was wrong.

 

All day, after the morn, she waited for him to return,

Though he was there in body, he could not have been farther away.

I almost feel sorry for her, this perfect, perfect girl,

Then I realize how well I know her, and I despise her instead.

 

That “perfect,” stupid girl is me.

 



Our Moments

 

I have no greater desire than to stop time in this moment.

We’ve been to the Santa Monica Pier.

The highs and lows of the carnival.

 

The ardor of your touch bends me to your will.

Each moment builds me up.

With limbs entwined, we make beautiful music.

The warmth of your skin against mine fills me with hope.

We’ve been skiing in Big Bear.

The zig zag down the mountain, avoiding the trees.

 

You spark a fire in me, previously untouched.

The paint of your passion fills my empty canvas.

You stretch my intellect; teach me and I’ll learn.

I bare your mark with pride, traveling through life.

An abstract world of love, you make my reality.

Depth of your gaze touches my complex self.

I long for you every moment you leave my side.

We’ve been to the soda shop in Julian.

Sipping thick mint chip malts and eating apple pie.

 

Within our moments together…

 You weave a web around my heart.

The strength and warmth of your embrace keeps me safe.

Wrap me in your arms, lay me down, let us stay forever.

I am absolutely taken, swept away by your intensity.

My heart is softened by the tenderness of your gaze.

You see inside of me, you caress my very soul.

There is no one I would rather touch, see, taste…

No one can fulfill me like you do, with your simple grin.

Your sideways glance falls upon me for a moment.

We’ve been to Disneyland.

Walked miles just to stand still, waiting for Big Thunder Railroad.

 

Everything is fine.

It is all worth it.

You are my motivation.

Thoughts of you propel me through the day.

Your company is everything to me.

I have no greater desire; no greater need.

If I’m not in love, I’m soon to be, I know.


No comments:

Post a Comment

CLS Sandoval

I Made You Something Special [Again] I wove cotton around until the loom turned into a rainbow The clouds only opened to place a waterfall i...