FOUR FEATHERS PRESS ONLINE EDITION: PIE SIGHS Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the words pie and/or sigh, totaling up to 150 lines in length, in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PST on March 15th. No PDF's please. Color artwork is also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Pie Sighs will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, March 16th between 3 and 5 pm PDT.

Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Carl Stilwell AKA Caloki

To Luke on His 56th Birthday 

Almost 10 years since 
your body left us
Pie ‘N Burger still there 
but Coco’s gone
Sigh

Speaking of pies 
Too much pastry belly 
hanging over 38 size 
waist Levis along with too 
many pounds over 200 
and I’m only 5’9”

I know
How am I going to denounce 
fat cats in my poetry when 
I’m one myself?

Jesus Christ Superstar!
The King almost 40 
just scored 40,000 points!
A half century 
younger than me

I’m 89 
Still walking the line 
but need walker to shop 
and CPAP to sleep
Like the Beatles sang,
I get by with a little help 
from my friends

But hey, I’m younger than 
Noam Chomsky who’s 
perceptive and insightful as 
ever but I wouldn’t be 
surprised one bit if he 
sometimes puts ice cream 
in fridge instead of freezer 
and always looking for his 
misplaced cell phone like me

Instead of visiting us in my dream 
last night, you were living with us 
and you and I were shopping in 
South Pasadena, your hometown

56 years since you came into 
the world and made my life
Thank you for being my son

1 comment:

CLS Sandoval

I Made You Something Special [Again] I wove cotton around until the loom turned into a rainbow The clouds only opened to place a waterfall i...