FOUR FEATHERS PRESS ONLINE EDITION: PIE SIGHS Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the words pie and/or sigh, totaling up to 150 lines in length, in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PST on March 15th. No PDF's please. Color artwork is also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Pie Sighs will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, March 16th between 3 and 5 pm PDT.

Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Luis Cuauhtémoc Berriozábal 


Sigh for the Day


I sigh with a

quivering lip

for hours on end.

I feel night’s kick

and claw making

a mess of me,

knocking me out

for all history.


Sigh for the day 

to end. This is 

no solitary 

nightmare.

This is no 

paradise. 

Only in dreams 

can I live 

a better life.

I die every 

living day 

with death

in my face 

daring me 

to jump.





Listening to the Doctor 


Good news and bad news,

oh, what to hear first?

The world will be here without me.

I can continue composing poems.

I shook off the news with a sigh.

I have bigger problems than I thought. What is to like about life?


I think about the time I have left.

I think in seconds and milliseconds.

Sunlight comes in through the blinds.

I have delicate skin.

My knee-joints have complaints

and that is not the worst.

I feel lucid.

Why shout epithets?

The sunlight falls upon me.


There is life and death.

I have seen a lot.

We are always skirting the inevitable

and sometimes we come to the end.





Crave the Food
 


I crave the food

that makes my body sick.

I need more hearts

so I can indulge.


The sweets and salt,

they are not good for me.

I starve myself 

when I get too big.


If I only 

live once, I have to pace

myself, pick my spots,

before I am gone.


Tonight I might

get the slice of pie, a

bottle of wine,

and something greasy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

CLS Sandoval

I Made You Something Special [Again] I wove cotton around until the loom turned into a rainbow The clouds only opened to place a waterfall i...